Cybertracker is software built for field monitoring and data capture that enables non-literate Indigenous trackers to collect spatial data such as wildlife tracking, location of environmental and infrastructure damage, feral animal control and cultural and historical sites. Observations can be entered with simple lists tailored using relevant information fields and species lists. It is used widely across Indigenous Ranger groups in Australia.
Australian Wildlife Services currently facilitate a Cybertracker program on Angas Downs, where the Angas Downs Indigenous Rangers implement wildlife and other information tracking using a TDS Nomad. The aims of implementing Cybertracker on Angas Downs IPA are to:
- involve the Rangers in monitoring native and feral species on Angas Downs, including kuka (game) species
- progress involvement in sustainable wildlife management
- combine Indigenous knowledge with science to monitor environmental factors.
Australian Wildlife Services are able to tailor the Cybertracker program to suit any GPS unit containing Windows Mobile software for any purpose or area. See www.cybertracker.org
GIS Services Available
- Spatial data capture, analysis and management
- Professional spatial representation of remotely sensed and ground truthed data to meet client objectives
- Map delineation, digitisation, georeferencing of ground-truthed data
- Analysis of remotely sensed data for classification, mapping and evaluation/monitoring of environmental factors
(vegetation, landuse, fire etc)
- Boolean logic; multi evaluation criteria and objective assessments and models to support decision-making.
Examples of spatial analysis projects:
- Wildlife population and biodiversity density assessment analysis and mapping
- Vegetation classification, analysis and thematic mapping
- Cultural and management data capture
- Soil mapping, water resource mapping
- Development of flight lines for aerial surveys and conduct of aerial surveys.
For map examples and more information download AWS's GIS Capabilities:
AWS GIS Capability (902 downloads)
Australian Wildlife Services staff have a range of GIS and mapping capabilities including use of products ArcInfo, MapInfo, Manifold and Cybertracker.